Join Our Online Community!
The first mental hospital in East Africa, Lutindi Mental Hospital was built by German mission in the Usambara Mountain in 1896 and is owned by the ELCT North-Eastern Diocese. It is the only specialized hospital in ELCT. It has a bed capacity of 120 beds and serves Tanga region. Recently Irente rehabilitation center was combined with Lutindi. Now about half of the patients are chronic cases, who have lost contact to their relatives.
The hospital is well maintained with the help from Germany. It has 3 nurses specialized in psychiatry and 37 other staff. Recently they got a neuropsychiatrist from Germany.
They have also started an outpatient clinic, which is in the center of Korogwe town on the main road between DaresSalam and Arusha. This location is more accessible than the mountain hospital. The hospital is also running dispensary for local population, which has 2 COs and 4 other staff members.